The holiday season is upon us. Shopping for wine for your holiday parties? Here are a few tips that can help when planning your celebrations:
1. At cocktail parties, the average guest will enjoy two glasses of wine during the first hour and one glass per hour for the duration of the party. For example, if you are hosting a five hour party for 12 guests, you will need an average of 72 servings or 15 bottles of wine. Also, don't forget water and soft drinks for designated drivers.
2. For wine cocktail parties, we suggest buying a fruity Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir or Chianti Classico. We also enjoy Malbec, Cabernet, Shiraz and blends. Remember, most of your guests will be satisfied with your choices. After all, it’s free and someone else is pouring!
3. For your cocktail party menu, present one or two substantial appetizers and several that are easier and less filling. Avoid food that is messy, too big or too hot.
4. A dinner party can be a special event to create closeness and make new friends. Guests usually enjoy one drink per course, so plan accordingly. Pair your wine with each course. End the evening with your most expensive or reserve wine selections. This ensures the WOW factor and an evening worth remembering!
5. For evenings when you are the guest, presenting the right bottle of wine to your host or hostess is an elegant way to say thank you for their hospitality. Generally speaking, a gift bottle of wine should cost between ten and twenty-five dollars.
You can always ask your local merchant which wines they recommend or email us. We have many that we enjoy, but remember wine is a personal choice.
Enjoy your celebrations with friends and family!